Greek Christmas honey cookies – melomakarona or almond snowballs – kourabiedes? Do not answer. Why? Because whatever you might answer, I -in this particular diary- will talk to you about the melomakarona! What will I tell you? I will give you five unique tips to make the most delicious Greek honey cookies that you’ve ever eaten! Along with them, some incredible recipes (always with melomakarona!) for before, but also after the holidays!
So, we start with the tips… We say yes to sifting and to spices. If we want, we can give them a more…traditional shape by using our hands or a festive cookie cutter. More or less, you know all these. The things you might not know are in the following lines!
- Be careful when kneading. Do not mix the dough a lot. Why? Because the oil will separate and your honey cookies will come out dry.
- Always choose a single batch! Do you want to make a double batch? Then, make...two single ones! Yes, I’m being serious. If you make a double batch, you will have to work the dough a lot more in order to combine the ingredients. In that way, you will have the result we mentioned above, and you do not want that to happen (that is, the oil of the honey cookies will separate and they will dry).
- Act smartly: Is there any syrup left? Then, keep it in the refrigerator (it can be preserved for 4-5 days) and use it in the second batch that we mentioned above. At this point, it is worth mentioning that the longer your honey cookies are dipped into the syrup, the more syruped they will become. It is clearly up to you to give them the texture and…the sweetness that you want!
- Do not procrastinate! As soon as you prepare the dough, make sure to use it instantly. You see, the dough of honey cookies cannot be used after a certain period of time because it contains baking soda. If the soda stays inactive, it will lose its “power” and your honey cookies will not rise correctly.
- Be careful when baking them. As you probably know, the honey cookies – melomakarona are baked in the oven, set to fan. However, you can bake them, if you want, in a conventional oven. Main condition? To bake one baking pan at a time.
And now that you discovered my secrets, it is time to try my recipes, too!
So, we start with my simple, traditional, delicious melomakarona! Also known as…Aki’s Greek Christmas honey cookies - Melomakarona , they are one of my favorite festive recipes.
Next stop? The Greek Christmas honey cookies with chocolate! Yes, when honey is not enough, then we can use chocolate as well!
What would you say for a batch of…stuffed melomakarona? If you like the idea, then these Greek honey cookies with prune filling will amaze you!
And now, we have a recipe for those who are gluten intolerant: Gluten-free Greek Christmas honey cookies – Melomakarona because I want everyone to be able to enjoy this festive treat.
So, we made them! And we made a double, even triple batch. The result? We have some leftovers (not that possible, but just in case…). What do we do? I’ll tell you right away:
We turn them into a…cake! Yes, that’s right. A delicious Greek honey cookie cake!
We transform them into a…cheesecake. An incredible Greek honey cookie cheesecake that everyone will remember.
We make with them a wonderful, homemade ekmek! So, Ekmek with Greek honey cookies and after that, nothing will be the same anymore.
I can’t wait to see photos from your own creations, but also smart recipes that you may come up with. I am sure that this will be the sweetest Christmas ever! I, at least, will do whatever I can about that :-)