We make our own pasta! This is the trend nowadays and we’ve been following it before it even became one! Why? Because, to put it simply, fresh pasta has an incomparable taste that can be boosted even with a little butter and cheese or with any homemade sauce that you like. Many people believe that preparing them can be…quite difficult. But you know what? Most preparations seem difficult when we make them for the first time. Afterwards, everything becomes simpler. Personally, I can only tell you one thing: No matter how hard it can be, it’s worth the trouble! In fact, I’ll give you a motive to try them by giving you -along with the recipes- a few tips that will answer all your questions and that will be the key to success!
So, let’s get started! Where from? Τhe two main ingredients that are needed for the preparation of a pasta dough, of course: Flour and eggs! Then, we add a little extra virgin olive oil and a little salt to them, creating a delicious dough for homemade pasta. From that point on, we can boost it -if we want- with several herbs or vegetable juices for extra flavor and color. So far, so good. There is only ONE MAIN SECRET that we have to know: In order to make tasty fresh pasta, we need fresh -and good!- ingredients. What does that mean? That a good strong flour, a few fresh (medium-sized) eggs, and plenty of patience and…persistence when kneading and shaping the pasta, is everything we will need (or at least, the most basic ones). Apart from them though, we have gathered some more (simple, yet useful) secrets that can help you achieve the best possible result. Which are they? The following…
- For the preparation of the dough, the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Every time you pass your dough through the pasta maker or while you are kneading it with the rolling pin, dust it with flour. Generally, you will have to be patient while rolling out the dough, so that you get the best possible result.
- Your dough has to be constantly covered from the moment you knead it. The same applies to your pasta. After preparing it, you should keep it covered with a dry, clean towel so that it doesn’t dry until you boil it.
- Before you start working your pasta’s shape, you should let your dough rest for about 30 minutes so that the gluten within the flour “relaxes”. This will make a difference in both the flavor and texture of your pasta.
- You should always boil your pasta in plenty of salted water.
- How will you know that it’s ready? It will rise to the surface. As soon as this happens, you can remove it from the pot 1-2 minutes after rising to the surface.
- You don’t want to cook your pasta straight away? Store it in the refrigerator, well-covered with a tea towel so that it doesn’t dry, for 1-2 days.
So far, so good! Next step? The filling or the sauce! At this point, there are no limitations… Everything depends on our imagination, our taste, but also our willingness to experiment until we discover our favorite combinations. These, of course, apply to both the sauce and the filling of our pasta (in case we make tortellini or ravioli). So, this filling can include any ingredients you may think of – cheeses, ground meat, veggies, meat, and many more. Below, you will find some of the most delicious recipes for homemade fresh pasta that you have to try without a second thought!
I can’t wait to hear your impressions!