Without a doubt, food is a very important part of our lives in any of its “versions”: In its homemade version, in its more traditional version, but also in its healthier version. However, there is one more food category which is high in the preferences of young and old alike. This is none other than the street food version, whose leader is a super “dish”. In fact, today happens to be the day that we celebrate this very dish! Which is that? Burger! And 28th May is the National Burger Day! So, my friends, this is that ideal day for me to share with you some incredible tips that will help you create the yummiest burger ever! The best part? Apart from advice, we will also exchange some wonderful recipes! Recipes for all kinds of burgers, so that everyone is pleased. But, with what should we start? With our tips! They are some simple -yet important- steps which have the power to take your burger to the next level:
- Start with the ground meat. You get to the butcher’s and you ask for some beef meat to make your patty. This ground meat should be used as soon as it comes out of the meat mincer. In fact, you should ask your butcher to simply…wrap the ground meat softly into the paper and to not press it at all. You see, the less you “work” the ground meat, the fluffier your beef patty will become.
- Get to the flavor. Specifically, to the flavor of the beef patty. The most important part is the quality of the meat. If the ground meat is good, the only other ingredient that your beef patty needs is salt! Nothing else! So, you add salt and you work the ground meat as little as possible.
- Next is cooking. Cooking the patty to a medium-well is, for many people, the ideal doneness. Of course, each person has his own taste. So, regarding cooking, you can follow your own rules.
- What about cheese? Just before your patty is done, simply place a slice of cheese onto it. Why? Because it should have already started melting when you put it in your burger.
- Next step? Burger buns! They have to be fluffy, almost airy. And that is because you do not want them to “cover” the taste of the other ingredients. Moreover, we do not want you to take your burger apart and set the bun aside in order to have the first bite. Whatever is in a burger, has to be eaten. Also, one bite must include all the layers! So, after choosing your buns, make sure to warm them a little before adding the rest of the ingredients in.
- Time to assemble… This is, technically, the moment when you create the burger by using all of the ingredients. Which are they? That depends on the kind of burger you want to make ;-) If it is a simple and classic burger, try the following combination with the exact order that I will give you. Start from the bottom: Bun – sauce (BBQ or ketchup) – patty – cheese – veggies – mayonnaise – bun. In this way, both buns will absorb the sauce, while the ingredients will be combined perfectly.
- How do you eat it? Yes, I will even give you advice on how to properly eat your burger. Actually, this piece of advice is for the moment of the…first bite! So, just before you have your first bite, simply take the burger into your hands and slightly press the buns together. In that way, the ingredients will be even more combined and they will create the perfect bite – a bite that will include all the flavors!
And now, let’s get to the best part of this diary! This is none other than my recipes! I have the best ones for…homemade street food! You can…celebrate Burger Day with them, not only today, but also any other day of the year.
Burger – classic and all-time favorite…
Vegetarian burger - for those who do not love meat
Tuna burgers - another -delicious!- version
Light chicken burger - because healthy can also be tasty
Sushi burger - something original, for sushi lovers
Vegan beet burger - for vegans
Pulled chicken burger - with homemade, amazing buns!
Mini party burgers - for parties, and not only :-)
Bonus Tip: Lastly, I have a tip that is a little more… special. In some of my recipes, as well as in Burger AP, you’ll see our burgers served with a pickle on top. This pickle should not be there when you start enjoying your burger. You have to, previously, take it out and put it inside the burger.