Yes, the truth is that it is a bit difficult to keep complete control and eat balanced even on vacation! So, how can one go on vacation and control everything that he consumes so well or not be seduced by the rest of his friends that may be making some exaggerations? Also, is it worth having this stress during the holidays? The only sure thing is that stress is unnecessary! Relaxation is the most important thing we should do for ourselves, as well as enjoy our summer holidays by doing things we love.
Apart from that, there are some very basic habits that can become part of our holidays’ daily routine and that will keep our stomach happy, while they will help us avoid several exaggerations. Thus, -almost certainly- we will be able to keep our weight balanced.
Shall we go check them out?
1. Eat your 5 meals! That is, consume breakfast, a midday snack, lunch, an afternoon snack, and dinner. If you leave your body without food for many hours, the only sure thing is that you will end up consuming a very large meal during the day which will be very rich in calories and it will most likely contain more calories than if you would eat 3 main meals and 2 snacks in total!
2. Search the restaurants you will visit before you reach your destination. Find restaurants with more original dishes that are at the same time complete (i.e. containing lean protein, good fats, and complex carbs). That way, you will try new flavors and consume nutritious and filling meals.
3. Do water sports or play beach volley! A little exercise in your everyday lives would be ideal. But do not do it to "burn" the above calories that you consumed but do it to have fun with your friends and family. Swimming, a few exercises, or beach games are just some of the things you can do. All this carefully, of course!
4. Water is always necessary, especially now in the summer! Certainly, in such hot temperatures and while we are under the sun for many hours, it is important not to forget to drink water and hydrate properly. We have talked about the importance of drinking water many times before.
5. Eat more fish and seafood and avoid red meat. For red meat lovers: How about avoiding it for a while and then add a little more fish and seafood into your diet? Now in the summer and especially in Greece, we have wonderful dishes that are worth trying!
6. Choose the "right" drink. I know that cocktails are very tasty and we often want to try them all… The point is that it is not difficult to lose control and consume more than we should. Do not forget that they contain both alcohol and sugar, which means a lot of calories! Prefer drinks such as beer or red wine that have fewer calories and do not overdo it! Remember, also, that you should consume a glass of water with every glass of alcohol.
7. Do not worry that much if you eat a bit more dessert. The important thing is to enjoy it and not to feel guilty about it! Still, it is not so easy to gain weight by eating not so balanced only a few times a year! Weight loss and weight gain have to do with our overall eating habits.
8. As I said above, the important thing is to enjoy our vacation and not have stress. If you force yourself to follow a program, then it can negatively affect your mood, mental state, and the body’s hormones as well, resulting in weight gain.
So, what do you think? Is it so difficult to follow the above during our summer vacation and -at the same time- to have fun completely stress-free? I believe that it isn’t! But I’ll be waiting for your thoughts as well!
This article was written in collaboration with the Sports Nutritionist Anna Maria Volanaki, MSc, BDA, SENr.
* The website akispetretzikis.com offers as a service a variety of blogs and articles, based on scientific sources. All the articles are provided as general information and no text should be used as a substitute for advice from a physician or another health scientist, regardless of the date it has been published.