Everyone has their own needs in terms of nutrition. Nevertheless, some foods have - without a doubt - the power to boost our body with several valuable nutrients, which automatically puts them on our list of nutritious choices. So, to help us make better choices, scientists have set out to discover the most nutrient-rich foods in the world! To achieve this - or at least to get closer to it - they analyzed 1.000 different foods and decided which are the 100 best for our body. The results were published οn BBC Good Food and you can see them here. But since I love…spoilers, and since I also thought you may not have that much time to read, here are the Top 5:
- Let’s start from the 5th place which is occupied by Chia Seeds. According to researchers, these tiny seeds contain high amounts of fiber, protein, a-linolenic acid, phenolic acid, and vitamins.
- In 4th place, we find the Flatfish. This category includes many fish, the most famous of which is - without a doubt - the sole fish. They are free of mercury and a good source of vitamin B1.
- Let’s get to the 3rd place. There we find the Ocean Perch, a fish that lives in the deep waters of the ocean with a high protein content and low saturated fats.
- And like that, we get to the 2nd place. What do we find here? Cherimoya! A fruit with off-white flesh and a characteristic sweet taste that reminds us of something between pineapple and banana. It is a fruit rich in natural sugars, vitamins A, C, B1, B2, and potassium.
- After all that, which food do you think can be in the first place? I think you’ll be surprised since it is much simpler than you think… So, in 1st place, we find the Almond! Rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, it is a nut full of valuable nutrients for our body! The main requirement? To consume it in its most natural version (i.e. unsalted) and -of course- in moderation, something that applies to everything that has to do with our diet.
Photo: Olena Sergienko via Unsplash