How to prepare calamari
- To properly prepare a calamari (or squid), carefully separate the head from the body so that the intestines (if any) are also removed.
- Cut away the head from the tentacles right behind the eyes.
- If the calamari has a mouth, remove and discard along with the intestines and head.
- Pull out and discard the thin, clear central bone.
- Using a knife, remove the skin from the body along with the fins. You can keep the fins if you like.
- Cut the calamari in half, exactly where the vertical crack is. Using your knife, remove any leftover intestines or dirt.
- Wash thoroughly with water and dry off with paper towels making sure that all of the moisture is absorbed.
- To finish, turn the calamari inside out and score the interior gently in a crisscross manner.